Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday 19 September 2010

Looking Back--Meaningful Stories to Remember and Think About

Every once and awhile I look back on my own blogs. I do this for two reasons: 1. To help me remember previous posts and things I have already written about. 2. So that my readers and followers might recall. The very first poem posted to this blog was

The Pike--http://alalex-alexanderdgirvan.blogspot.com/2009/11/pikefrom-shadows-of-rich-oaks-outpeer.html  followed by other poems to remember and think about. 



The Peacock, the Turkey, and the Goose

In beauty faults conspicuous grow,
The smallest speck is seen on snow.
As near a barn, by hunger led,
A Peacock with the poultry fed,
All viewed him with an envious eye,
And mocked his gaudy pageantry.
He, consdious of superior merit,
Contemns their base revioing spirit;
His state and dignity assumes,
And to the sun displays his plumes,
Which, like the Heavens'o'er-arching skies,
Are spangled with a thousand eyes.
The dirdling rays, and varied light,
At once confound their dazzled sight;
An every tongue detraction burns,
And malace prompts their spleen by turns

"Mark with what insolence and pride
The creature takes his haughty stride,"
The turkey cries. "Can spleen contain?
Sure never bird was half so vain!
But, were intrinsic merit seen,
We turkeys have the whiter skin."
From tongue to tongue they caught abuse;
And next was heard the hissing Goose:

"What hideous legs! What filthy claws!
I scorn to censure little flaws.
Then what a horrid squalling throat!
Ev'n owls are frightened at the note,"
"True. Those are faults, the Peacock cries;
"My scream, my shanks, you may despise;p
But such blind critics rail in vain.
What! Overlook my radiant train!Know, did my legs (your scorn and sport)
The Turkey or the Goose support,
And did ye scream a harsher sound,
Those faults in you had ne'er been found,.
To all apparent beauties blind,
Each blemish strikes an envious mind."
Thus in assemblies have I seen
A nymph of brightest charm and mien
Wake envy in each ugly face,
And buzzing scandal fills the place
--John Gay

The Hare and Many Friends

Nature let me Learn of Thee-- 


Essay on Man--


Love Turned to Hate--


Never Love--


Advice to Youth (Every Man in his Humour) --


On Man --


The End of Life As We Know it-2012???--


Heaven or Hell--


Mother Nature Is Good To Us--


Ugly The Cat --


Springtide --


My True-Love--


Sweet are the Thoughts --


Time Goes by Turns--


Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat--


The first quotes were: Famous Inspirational Quotes, To Remember, To Think About.--


http://alalex-alexanderdgirvan.blogspot.com/2009/11/famous-inspirational-quotes-to-remember.html

No comments:

Post a Comment